ToyVoyagers
Welcome! ( login | register ) » ToyVoyagers » ToyVoyager Central » Trading Post » To German hosts - Teddy bear...

Pages: << prev 1, 2, 3 next >> Reply to Topic Create New Topic Create New Poll E-mail me when replies are made to this topic View Printable
To German hosts - Teddy bears for South Africa
olgamaus
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Group: Members

Germany

Send a personal messsage to olgamaus Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

I'm following Threadbear's story from the beginning and I would like to send some bears to South Africa too. Admittedly the high postal charges are frighten me off.

I've now calculated the options we have to send bears to South Africa.

We can send them as a letter, for 500 g we would have to pay EUR 8,00, for more, for example 750 g, even EUR 12,00.

We could send them as a packet also. The smallest package can weigh 5 kg and would cost EUR 37,00.

My childred looked through their bears and gave me five that would look foreward to a new home in South Africa.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3256/2565559106_79ae100865.jpg?v=0

Their weight is about 750 g, with packaging materials it would be about 900 g or 1 kg. That would cost at least EUR 12,00.

I'm now considering to collect bears from more German hosts and send them in one package to South Africa. Therefore the bears should be send to me. I would then calculate the postage quote for each person.

For example: My bears's weight is about 800 g. If we calculated the quote per 100 g it would be for me (supposed that the package will have 5 kg):

5.000 g : 100 = 50 postage units

EUR 37,00 : 50 = EUR 0,74/100 g teddy bear

EUR 0,74 x 8 = EUR 5,92.

Of course the bears would have to be send to one address, but according to the size of the bears it would cost EUR 3,85 max. (sending with Hermes), smaller bears can be sent in an envelope or as well as "Warensendung".

I think it is safer to send one package to South Africa than several smaller envelopes.

We could collect the bears until we had about 5 kg. That will be a lot of bears.

If some hosts would send bears on their own, maybe 5 or 6 bears, each host would pay at least EUR 8,00 or EUR 12,00. For EUR 37,00 we could send far more teddy bears to South Africa.

If anyone is interested please let me know.

Photos of all  ToyVoyagers I've hosted to far, here on flickr

Posted Jun 9, 2008, 8:34 pm
Apperveilchen
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

Send an email to Apperveilchen Send a personal messsage to Apperveilchen Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

I like the idea, but I don't know if I can sort out the attic before August. I might get to it next weekend.
my tvs: Emil is doing a foreign exchange to Japan/USA. Roderich is hiking in Canada. Vinícius has traveled to South Africa. Greta is stranded in Puerto Rico. Nami Geneveva seems to have been lost in the mail. Bob Beeker is still in Mexico. Kunigunde is having fun in the US. Kaspian was lost in the mail for the second time.

Currently with me: Knopf

Posted Jun 9, 2008, 8:42 pm
fam-united

Member Level

Germany

Send an AIM message to fam-united Send a personal messsage to fam-united Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Hi Olgamaus,
you know, that I like the idea and you know, that I already thought about sending bears to MrsC too. I will see how much it costs to send her next guest plus my bears or without them, but adding the postage to you and for the big package. When I know everything, I will get in contact with you about this again.
Greetings, Petra

Posted Jun 9, 2008, 9:02 pm
BlackCat
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

Visit BlackCat's web site Send a personal messsage to BlackCat Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

I like this idea, too :)! I have already 1 or 2 bears and I will search for more at the weekend. After that, I can tell you, how much they weigh and how much I have ;)!
If you want to be hosted - just let me know.

Sadly my dear Wauzi moved to his dad...so now I have sweet little Jonathan to stay with me all the time. He is a stay-at-home Voyager.

If you want me to host your toy, please read this:
http://www.toyvoyagers.com/forum/index.php?a=topic&t=1617 *no spaces available in 2015*

Posted Jun 10, 2008, 6:47 am
olgamaus
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

Send a personal messsage to olgamaus Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

That sounds good. Of course we have to consider the allowed measures of a package but I think we could get a lot of bears in one package down there.

Posted Jun 10, 2008, 7:19 am
Apperveilchen
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

Send an email to Apperveilchen Send a personal messsage to Apperveilchen Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

I will be able to sort through the attic next week and tell you on Wednesday or so if that's okay, or is it too late? Might also be able combine it with BlackCat since I will be in Essen...? I'll try for little ones but I think they can be squished together in a box with lots of tape around. They should 'unfold' again after they've reached their goal.
my tvs: Emil is doing a foreign exchange to Japan/USA. Roderich is hiking in Canada. Vinícius has traveled to South Africa. Greta is stranded in Puerto Rico. Nami Geneveva seems to have been lost in the mail. Bob Beeker is still in Mexico. Kunigunde is having fun in the US. Kaspian was lost in the mail for the second time.

Posted Jun 10, 2008, 8:49 pm Last edited Jun 10, 2008, 8:51 pm by Apperveilchen
olgamaus
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

I thought of sending a package in Juli or August, so you have a lot of time. By the way, Essen is not too far from my home, about 30 km. Maybe we could even meet, you, BlackCat and me?

Posted Jun 10, 2008, 9:15 pm
BlackCat
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

Visit BlackCat's web site Send a personal messsage to BlackCat Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

olgamaus said:
I thought of sending a package in Juli or August, so you have a lot of time. By the way, Essen is not too far from my home, about 30 km. Maybe we could even meet, you, BlackCat and me?

I can bring them to you and we can make a little TV meeting :)! That would be great ^^ :D!

Sadly my dear Wauzi moved to his dad...so now I have sweet little Jonathan to stay with me all the time. He is a stay-at-home Voyager.

http://www.toyvoyagers.com/forum/index.php?a=topic&t=1617 *no spaces available in 2015*

Posted Jun 10, 2008, 9:21 pm
BlackCat
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

Apperveilchen said:
I will be able to sort through the attic next week and tell you on Wednesday or so if that's okay, or is it too late? Might also be able combine it with BlackCat since I will be in Essen...? I'll try for little ones but I think they can be squished together in a box with lots of tape around. They should 'unfold' again after they've reached their goal.

When will you be in Essen again?! Then we can meet and you give them to me and I bring them to olga or so xD! Or we all meet together and make a big party :D!

Posted Jun 10, 2008, 9:22 pm
Apperveilchen
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

I'll be there 18.6.-22.6. and then again in August. A TV party (or day-trip) sounds fun!

Posted Jun 10, 2008, 10:26 pm
BlackCat
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

Apperveilchen said:
I'll be there 18.6.-22.6. and then again in August. A TV party (or day-trip) sounds fun!

And I have time in this days :)! So we can plan something. Where could we go and make nice pictures?! :D

Posted Jun 13, 2008, 4:03 pm
MrsC
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

South Africa

Send a personal messsage to MrsC Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Man, I am so jealous! Why can't you come on a day trip to visit me? Ha ha ha... ;)
I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble." - Helen Keller

My cute little ToyVoyagers are Bokkie, Khetiwe and little Ambrosius

I am currently hosting Pinky BearShaggy Bear,  and Squirt

Have sent Dilbert, HitchaRideDooey, Moley, Jubilee Bunny, CassiopeiaSynapse, Fiona, GilbertBullet, NormaNikkers, Hector and Gracy  on to their next adventure...

Posted Jun 13, 2008, 6:52 pm
fam-united

Member Level

Germany

Send an AIM message to fam-united Send a personal messsage to fam-united Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

How about meeting in Essen? I know, there are some interesting places, aren't there BlackCat? I already talked about a meeting of hosts in Germany, so this would be a good thing, I think. Of course I have to drive a while until I'm there, but Heidelberg could be an interesting place too.

Bye, Petra

Posted Jun 13, 2008, 7:02 pm
BlackCat
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

fam-united said:
How about meeting in Essen? I know, there are some interesting places, aren't there BlackCat? I already talked about a meeting of hosts in Germany, so this would be a good thing, I think. Of course I have to drive a while until I'm there, but Heidelberg could be an interesting place too.

Bye, Petra

We have a lot of nice places ;)! The Gruga Park, Zollverein, Villa Hügel, Werden (whole Werden), and so on :)! So we can meet here, if possible. I think 2 of us can (Apperveilchen and me) and the others have to look ;)!
I think it would be great ;)! And we can make a lot of nice photos (and I don't feel so stupid making photos because we all have cuddly toys xD).

Bye, Fabi

Posted Jun 13, 2008, 7:10 pm
olgamaus
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

For me it's far easier to get to Essen (about an hour by train). I already have an appointment for June 22nd, but Saturday or Friday be ok for me. On Friday I have to work until 1:00 p.m.

Posted Jun 13, 2008, 7:30 pm
fam-united

Member Level

Germany

Because I'm a teacher, I have to wait until we are on summer break here in Baden-Württemberg, but you, BlackCat, maybe remember, that I already wanted to go to Essen and we talked about meeting there. So if you don't have problems to meet my whole family too, we could meet there. Fabi, you know, that I wanted to see the Gruga Park, so this should be in our plans if possible.

Posted Jun 13, 2008, 8:33 pm
olgamaus
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

@ fam-united
your vacations are starting on July 24th, we could meet then again.

Posted Jun 13, 2008, 8:47 pm
BlackCat
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

fam-united said:
Because I'm a teacher, I have to wait until we are on summer break here in Baden-Württemberg, but you, BlackCat, maybe remember, that I already wanted to go to Essen and we talked about meeting there. So if you don't have problems to meet my whole family too, we could meet there. Fabi, you know, that I wanted to see the Gruga Park, so this should be in our plans if possible.

No problem ;)! I have a season ticket for the Gruga Park, so it would be great to meet you there and to show you the Hundertwasserhaus (only from outside :( ). And I think some people would love to come again to Essen (like olgamaus ;) )!

@olga: It is more than an hour by train, if you took the RB to Wuppertal and then the S9 to Essen ;)! But if you want I can come to Wuppertal and take you there - so that the travel is not sooo long ;) (I wanted to buy new postcards there).
We can meet the others at Essen HBF and go from there to the Gruga Park or maybe in the Cinema or so, if the weather is bad ;)!

Posted Jun 13, 2008, 11:05 pm Last edited Jun 13, 2008, 11:06 pm by BlackCat
fam-united

Member Level

Germany

It's really nice to talk to you in English, hehehe. I'm sure, it would be much easier, if we would try it in German or do you think, we all forgot how to write in German since we are on this site?

Have a good night (if you are still here)

Posted Jun 13, 2008, 11:11 pm
BlackCat
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

Ich hab echt das Problem, dass ich bei einer anderen Seite einen Travelog komplett auf Englisch geschrieben habe, obwohl es ein deutsches Forum war xD! *upps* ;)

Dir auch eine gute Nacht ;)! Ich bleib noch ein paar Minuten ;)!

Posted Jun 13, 2008, 11:19 pm
Pages: << prev 1, 2, 3 next >> Reply to Topic Create New Topic Create New Poll E-mail me when replies are made to this topic View Printable