ToyVoyagers
Welcome! ( login | register ) » ToyVoyagers » ToyVoyager Central » Off-Topic » Hedgehog Crossing!

Pages: << prev 1, 2 next >> Reply to Topic Create New Topic Create New Poll E-mail me when replies are made to this topic View Printable
Hedgehog Crossing!
rabbits
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Group: Members

Germany

Send a personal messsage to rabbits Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

It was SO weird! I just went outside to feed my rabbits, and I saw a little creature walking along the path in my garden. It was a hedgehog! I had no leaves in my garden, so I climbed over the fence and took some leaves from my neighbor's hazelnut the. I climbed back over the fence, into my own garden. I gently placed them around the hedgehog, and every time a leaf touched him, he made himself more spiky. I googled what hedgehogs eat, and found out they eat bugs, dog and cat food. I gave him some rabbit food, cat food(for my neighbor's cat, where I got the leaves from), and a piece of apple. Oh nuts; he just moved, be right back..... Ok, I'm back. He was just crossing my garden. I just made him a new pile of leaves in the corner of my garden. I hope he will head there....
Dusk is staying with LadyButterfly.
Lotus is staying with Birdie87.
Kit-Kat is staying with Coraline.
Katie Pillar is staying with Clemy.
Lizzy Lizard is staying with Miapearl.
Viper is staying with Cheshire.

Please PM me if you are interested in hosting any of my ToyVoyagers. :)

Posted Nov 18, 2011, 6:54 pm
Vreni
ToyVoyagers Fanatic

Member Level

Austria

Send a personal messsage to Vreni Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

oh cute, but be careful and don't let them near the rabbits, 'cause a hedgehog has a lot of parasites... we had a family of hedgehogs in our garden and soon our cats had parasites :(
I'm a postcrosser too :)

This is my Häkelwerkstatt, where you can find patterns or write me if you want some.

Posted Nov 18, 2011, 7:00 pm
rabbits
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

Send a personal messsage to rabbits Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Oh- Thank you for the warning. The hedgehog disappeared anyway... :(

BTW, this is my 500th post! I'm a FREAK!!!!! YAY! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Posted Nov 18, 2011, 7:06 pm Last edited Nov 18, 2011, 7:07 pm by rabbits
rabbits
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

Did anyone else have a hedgehog trespassing through their garden? If so, please post your story here :p

Posted Nov 25, 2011, 9:35 pm
Eohippus
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Finland

Send an email to Eohippus Send a personal messsage to Eohippus Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Not tresspassing really, but I was having one hedgehog living with me two months. ;)

I found it on march near my home when there still was a lot of snow in Finland and many minusdegrees, and the hedgehog certainly should have still been hibernating in his vinternest..
it was a rather big male and very pissed of when I picked it up and took with me inside.

I called the wildlife spe####ts in the Helsinki zoo and asked what to do with it.
They thought it propably was so enthusiastic about the mating season starting in the spring that it has simply got up too early and left for a hopeless search of any females.. :rolleyes:

They asked if I had any possibilities to keep it with me until may when it would be the right time for the hedgehogs to start to roam about, because it would die for cold if left outside. :thinking:

So of course I kept it. :D
It continued hating me troughout the two months, but it ate healthily minced meat and catfood and disgusting worms they sell in petshops to feed to some lizards.
It was making hissing noises and turned himself into a hateful ball of spikes every time I went too near.
He lived in an old guinea pig cage,and was sulking most of the time in a small hut inside the cage.
But it learned to recognice the sound of the opening fridge door rather fast, and came always out from his hut to see what food was being served this time! ;)

He had some ticks too, so I had to wash him with a special shampoo from the farmacy, and after that he hated me even more if possible. :D

In may, when the snow had melted away and the first insects had appeared I let him go, and he went without once looking back! :)
http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/personal/pooh_go.gif  http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/artists/mother_goose/MG_08.gif

Posted Nov 26, 2011, 1:25 am
Leslie
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Chile

Visit Leslie's web site Send a personal messsage to Leslie Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Haha I liked your story Henna! I imagine him getting out of the hut all angry watching you take food out of the fridge! lol :D

Sadly I'm not able to host for now.

Posted Nov 26, 2011, 1:50 am
rabbits
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

That was a really funny story!
:D

Posted Nov 26, 2011, 10:31 am
Sam-The-Sheep
ToyVoyagers Follower

Member Level

United Kingdom

Visit Sam-The-Sheep's web site Send a personal messsage to Sam-The-Sheep Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

whatever you do DO NOT FEED IT BREAD AND MILK!!

I found a hedgehog in my nanna's garden, I asked her to feed it until I came back the next day and she fed it milk and bread which got stuck in its poor little throat and choked it to death. :(
Visit me at www.samthesheep.webs.com

Posted Nov 28, 2011, 1:47 pm
rabbits
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

Awww, poor little thing. :(

Today I remembered while being at my grandma's, when I went to my friends house. She found a hedgehog in her garden in broad daylight, and her family and I picked it up. It was really cute, but since I've found one in my garden, I did a little research about them and found out, that they are usually sick when you find them wandering around in your garden in broad daylight. Now thinking about it, the one my friend found was probably sick.... Hope he is still alive, but she found him years ago, so I think he is dead.... :(

Posted Nov 28, 2011, 6:33 pm
Eohippus
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Finland

Send an email to Eohippus Send a personal messsage to Eohippus Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Don´t give them milk or any other milk products. They are all lactose intolerants and milk makes them ill anyway.  :(

An ex of mine had an african dwarf hedgehog as a pet.
She was so cute..! I missed her much more than the ex..  :rolleyes:

I put here a pic of her, although she is very different from her northern cousins.
She is eating worms in the pic.  :D

http://i2.aijaa.com/b/00946/9136102.jpg
http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/personal/pooh_go.gif  http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/artists/mother_goose/MG_08.gif

Posted Nov 28, 2011, 10:57 pm
Leslee
ToyVoyagers Fanatic

Member Level

United Kingdom

Send a personal messsage to Leslee Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

There is a hedgehog who snuffles about on my lawn most nights although he is probably hibernating now.  He has been there since I moved in 8 years ago.  I suppose it is not the same hedgehog though!

I don't know where it sleeps and I don't feed it but I like to take photos sometimes,
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd358/hipapotomus/IMG_1475.jpg
My son's puppy Sam Sam is travelling home.
My voyagers Baby Gonga is resting and might come home soon and Mi Go is back home for a short rest.

Momo is travelling home to him Mum. Alien Queen and Karlie are still here but are having a rest awaiting further instructions from their Mothers.

Posted Nov 28, 2011, 11:24 pm Last edited Nov 28, 2011, 11:24 pm by Leslee
rabbits
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

Those pictures are SO good! I guess the hedgehog that comes at night was a lucky charm for you.... But if he has been visiting for over eight years now, he has hibernated many times before, and always came back, right? So why shouldn't he come back now? ;) Always think positively!

Posted Nov 29, 2011, 5:52 pm
rabbits
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

Here are some facts about hedgehogs:

Do not feed them bread and milk- makes them sick
If they are walking around in your garden during daytime, they are probably sick

Anything else? Feel free to add something!

Posted Nov 29, 2011, 5:55 pm
Eohippus
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Finland

A sad fact:

The worst enemies of hedgehogs (besides the traffic) are the line shredders. :(
People are often cutting the lawn with those things under the hedges without watching what is under the hedge first. And if there happens to be a hedgehog.. it is too awful to even think.

Please watch what you are cutting if you are cutting!

Posted Nov 29, 2011, 10:49 pm
rabbits
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

That sounds pretty gross. Poor hedgehogs

Posted Nov 30, 2011, 9:10 pm
MamiTig
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

United States

Visit MamiTig's web site Send a personal messsage to MamiTig Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

I had a friend in Africa who did rehab on wild hedgies there; she said one of the biggest dangers they had was that people would burn brush piles and she'd get in these poor, burnt hedgies with severe injuries. :( Makes me so sad to think of it.

The little African hedgies are quite different than their European cousins (for one thing, they are pretty domesticated at this point). Some of mine occasionally show up in my TV pictures. :)
- MamiTig

Posted Dec 1, 2011, 4:31 am
Noisy
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

Send a personal messsage to Noisy Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

I have some chickens in garden and one hen decided to sit their eggs behind a wooden playhouse of our children. She got 5 cute chick and looked for them very well. But when the weather turned colder she would go to the stable for night. She tried to head her chicks inside the stable, but they wouldn't. So she had to sleep outside with the chicks. Next evening the same story, and the next evening, too. But then she went inside the Stable and let the chicks outside. Alone. And in that night the hedgehog came and tried to catch one chick. It was very loud outside and my neighbour came to help the little chick. 4 could run away, what is difficult for them, because they cannot see anything in the dark. the hedghog snapped the tail feather of one and tried to pull it through the fence. And the neighbour was it's hero!
But the chicks had learned off that adventure :cyclops:
The next evening they went inside the stable with their mom....
It took several weeks to grow again the feather.

Nevertheless I like the hedgehog a lot, even if they are beasts of prey :cyclops:

Posted Dec 1, 2011, 6:46 am Last edited Dec 1, 2011, 6:58 am by Noisy
Noisy
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

Send a personal messsage to Noisy Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

...look...

even my TV MuggelRainbow has seen a hedgehog :D

Attached file: DSC00546.JPG (108 downloads)
DSC00546.JPG

Posted Dec 1, 2011, 6:53 am
rabbits
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

@ Noisy: Do you have a farm?

Cute :rolleyes:

Posted Dec 1, 2011, 4:59 pm
Noisy
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

...yepp, we have a farm ;)

with milkcows, bulls, calves, a lot of work, my chicken and a rooster, my indian ducks, traktors, menure, a big family and dog, a cat....
:D

Attached file: DSC00535.JPG (100 downloads)
DSC00535.JPG

Posted Dec 2, 2011, 10:00 am
Pages: << prev 1, 2 next >> Reply to Topic Create New Topic Create New Poll E-mail me when replies are made to this topic View Printable