ToyVoyagers
Welcome! ( login | register ) » ToyVoyagers » ToyVoyager Central » ToyVoyagers Cafe » Buy toys, Save their Life

Pages: << prev 1 next >> Reply to Topic Create New Topic Create New Poll E-mail me when replies are made to this topic View Printable
Buy toys, Save their Life, Any suggestions?
Tomi
ToyVoyagers Fanatic

Member Level

Group: Members

Germany

Send a personal messsage to Tomi Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Hey,
i saw that many of the tv's are second hand or something like that. Many of the members wrote the saved their life :) Where do you normally buy these tv's? In Second hand shops? At a trashing place? Or where? :)
Kind regards
Tomi
Inactive because of school!

My ToyVoyagers:
Tomi the Bear is at home
Froggy the Frog  got lost on the way from Katara back to me
Thomas the Bear is at home
Timmy the Bear is at home
Frank the Bear is at home
Tim the Bear is at home
Penny the Cat is at home
Tommy the Bear is at home

Posted Nov 21, 2011, 5:16 pm
Gizalba
ToyVoyagers Fanatic

Member Level

United Kingdom

Send a personal messsage to Gizalba Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

My Mirembe, Boris and Sienna were rescued from a Charity Shop :) I prefer second-hand toys as they can be more unique, plus I feel like I've given them a purpose in life again, and I always wonder what their history is... it's like they have more background and character. It saddens me to imagine how they felt when they were no longer wanted anymore :(

It can be hit and miss when trying to find them though, sometimes I go and there are none there, but sometimes there are boxes full.

I've never looked on a scrap heap or anything before... The fear of finding a mutilated teddy there is too much!

I also saw that one member, was it Lesliee? Literally saved a teddy from off the street who had lost an arm - put a lot of work into washing and stitching him until he looked brand new! :D
Hello, I have been locked out of my account for a long time as I had forgotten my password. I had made another account (Gizalba2) so I was updating from there for a while, however I am back using this one now :)

TVs I still have whose owners have been absent for over a year:

Pengy, Tapsi and Jala

If any of these owners come back and would like me to post these guys back to you, please let me know!

Posted Nov 21, 2011, 6:27 pm Last edited Nov 24, 2011, 2:40 am by Gizalba
Leslee
ToyVoyagers Fanatic

Member Level

United Kingdom

Send a personal messsage to Leslee Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Ha ha, Gizalba that was me :OD
Yes he was almost flat and so black I couldn't tell what colour he really was! Custard won't be traveling though because he is too loved.

In England, there are shops run by charities. They sell used things that people donate.

Also, sometime churches and schools have jumble sales which is similar but is just a one off event.

Here, mostly on Sundays in summer, there are car boot sales. Lots of people pay to park their cars in a farmer's field, open up the back of their cars and lay out blankets or put out tables and sell their old things.

I know that these are called different things in other countries like flea markets, and garage/yard sales and I don't know where you can buy used things in Germany.

I can buy used toys here for 50p and there are too many to choose from!

Gizalba, did you cry at the end of Toy Story 3 ?
My son's puppy Sam Sam is travelling home.
My voyagers Baby Gonga is resting and might come home soon and Mi Go is back home for a short rest.

Momo is travelling home to him Mum. Alien Queen and Karlie are still here but are having a rest awaiting further instructions from their Mothers.

Posted Nov 21, 2011, 6:42 pm
Zandy
ToyVoyagers Fanatic

Member Level

Germany

Send a personal messsage to Zandy Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

I bought some TVs at an second hand shop, too.
And maybe, if there is a flea market (Flohmarkt in German) I will
look there for a new TV.
I'm back here - I hope. Slowly I will came back :-)

My TVs: (If you want to hoste one, please feel free to contact me via PM. Klick on the picture of the TV you like to join.)

Hoppsi:http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n530/ToyVoyagerHost/Hoppsi/Hoppsi-klein.jpg    Santa:http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n530/ToyVoyagerHost/Santa/Santa-klein.jpg is lost :-(    Amalthea:http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n530/ToyVoyagerHost/Amalthea/Amalthea-klein.jpg is lost :-( Germanya:http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n530/ToyVoyagerHost/Germanya/Germanya-klein.jpg    Ayana:http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n530/ToyVoyagerHost/Ayana/Ayana-klein.jpg    Jala:http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n530/ToyVoyagerHost/Jala/Jala-klein.jpg

Posted Nov 21, 2011, 6:48 pm
Leslie
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Chile

Visit Leslie's web site Send a personal messsage to Leslie Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

I bought two of my TVs, Ranil and Meav in second hand stores where they sell European stuff. Drilo and Kirin were bought as keychains in a library :) I've got another seocond hand TV at home, he will be an official TV in the future :D
Sadly I'm not able to host for now.

Posted Nov 21, 2011, 6:58 pm
Gizalba
ToyVoyagers Fanatic

Member Level

United Kingdom

Send a personal messsage to Gizalba Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Leslee said:

Gizalba, did you cry at the end of Toy Story 3 ?

Ahaha, the end of Toy Story 3 was exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote the above ;) Yes, that is about the only film that has made me cry at the cinema! And the song in one of the films, about Jessie's owner growing up and abandoning her... devastating.
Hello, I have been locked out of my account for a long time as I had forgotten my password. I had made another account (Gizalba2) so I was updating from there for a while, however I am back using this one now :)

Pengy, Tapsi and Jala

If any of these owners come back and would like me to post these guys back to you, please let me know!

Posted Nov 21, 2011, 7:16 pm
mailianne
ToyVoyagers Friend

Member Level

Czech Republic

Send a personal messsage to mailianne Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

I found my only TV Leoshek in a geocache (see Geocaching.com). I also have a small doll called Desi from a geocache.  In geocaches you can find a lot of poor used toys, but you have to put there something instead of them (it doesn't need to be a toy, it could be a pen or a touristic souvenir etc.)
My other rescued toys are:
One-eyed Gizmo (from secondhand shop - he really has only one eye), Mr. Froggy (wooden frog - he was lying on the street) and a baby doll (I found her lying on the floor in the supermarket where I work and she is still waiting for a new body [her body was in very bad condition] - I don't know how to make it :( ). But they are not TVs and they will never be (but Gizmo was in Greece with me 2 years ago. :) )

to all: I recommend to see this Czech movie: http://www.kukysevraci.cz/en/index.html

Posted Nov 21, 2011, 9:51 pm Last edited Nov 21, 2011, 10:09 pm by mailianne
Jinny
ToyVoyagers Follower

Member Level

United States

Send an email to Jinny Send a personal messsage to Jinny Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Aww, that Movie is incredible cute~
I'd love to watch it X3
My TVs:
Masataku, currently with klubwerks in Oklahoma, USA
Takumi, currently staying with juls in Bremen, Germany
Hasune, staying with fleursmum in
Gisborne, Australia

Currently hosting: Paula the Snail

Posted Nov 21, 2011, 10:04 pm
Gizalba
ToyVoyagers Fanatic

Member Level

United Kingdom

mailianne said:

to all: I recommend to see this Czech movie: http://www.kukysevraci.cz/en/index.html

Aww, Kooky looks amazing! :) Thankyou for sharing, I am glad to be able to see the trailer dubbed in English. The whole film seems to be sold on Ebay, but it is quite expensive so I will have to see if the price comes down. I would love to see it!

Pengy, Tapsi and Jala

Posted Nov 21, 2011, 10:45 pm
Leslie
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Chile

Visit Leslie's web site Send a personal messsage to Leslie Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Thanks for shaing the film! I'm going to watch it tonight! :D
Sadly I'm not able to host for now.

Posted Nov 21, 2011, 11:03 pm
Kristykirkpatrick
ToyVoyagers Fanatic

Member Level

United States

Send an email to Kristykirkpatrick Visit Kristykirkpatrick's web site Send a message to Kristykirkpatrick with Yahoo! Messenger Send a personal messsage to Kristykirkpatrick Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

My newest batch of recruits was rescued when a family was evacuating their home due to sewage problems. None of the toys were....iky or anything, but they needed to reduce how much stuff they had to fit in the PODS.
~Kristy Kirkpatrick Hotel Trail Coordinator
Concierge Texas travel log shows all going on at Travel Inn Texas!

Travel Inn Texas visitors:
1 vacancy- minis only. 3" or smaller. padded envelope traveler preferred.

Travel Inn voyagers at home:
Nolan
Concierge Texas Concierge for Travel Inn Texas

Traveling Toyvoyagers
Arty Bunneh visiting ladybutterfly
Leif E redswan! Going on travels to celebrate Leif Erikson Day! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leif_Erikson_Day  for more info on Leif Erikson Day!

Upcoming Events:
possible voyage to South Mississippi in Summer.
West Texas-plans still in the works
Louisiana either with Mississippi road trip or sooner

Past events:
Relay for life in May 2012. TVs arrived by January and stayed through May. Leading up to the walk, which raises money for cancer research, We had a benefit dance and sold jewelery and art. We raised 250.00USD. Our team raised over 14k! It was a great event!
Masquerade Ball, Chamber of commerce 50th anniversary and volunteer recognition.
Various events at the Roxy
City Meetings including a city council meeting
Nolan's Grammy's 60th birthday party at the Harbor!
Trips to Eden's Organics Market days for fresh food
Trips to woodland park to play!
Decorating and Opening of Travel Inn Texas!
Veteran's day salute
Met a real TEXAS cowboy!
Halloween party!
National Night Out
Roxy Fest!

Posted Nov 21, 2011, 11:37 pm
Tomi
ToyVoyagers Fanatic

Member Level

Germany

Send a personal messsage to Tomi Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Thank you at all :) i will look after second hand shops :) does anybody know a shop in munich? :)

My ToyVoyagers:
Tomi the Bear is at home
Tim the Bear is at home
Penny the Cat is at home

Posted Nov 22, 2011, 2:58 pm
SashiSan
ToyVoyagers Follower

Member Level

Austria

Send a personal messsage to SashiSan Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Oh there actually should be quite a lot - do you also have these ISSBA-shops? they are partially second-hand and a lot of things African people made and sold to their company - fair-trade things.

or do you know that Alexa shop? or the "Flohpalast"? (yes, that means Fleapalace in German :D ) or .. just have a look around in the city :)

it's weird how one of the first things people are going to give away are 'old' toys - I have never given mine away to just a random shop or something, usually I look for someone to play with them still .. or just keep them myself :rolleyes: - it's just that bad feeling, abandoning them, showing I don't care, I don't like them, not going to give them any more love or anything.. :thinking:
Greetings from Austria!

Posted Nov 23, 2011, 10:51 pm
klubwerks
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

United States

Visit klubwerks's web site Send an AIM message to klubwerks Send a message to klubwerks with Yahoo! Messenger Send a personal messsage to klubwerks Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Toki was orphaned at work by an ex-employee, and another employee gave her to me to adopt.

All of my other TV's are handmade by me. I tend to adopt toys but never make them voyagers. I get very attached to the adopted ones and I find it easier to let go of the handmade toys (probably because I can remake them if they get lost or destroyed). Plus it means my toys are unique ;-)

If you have seen any of the contests I have ran, I usually give out handmade toys as prizes.
Coppertop
Toki Doki (TV)
Esty Shop
My Handmade Soft Toys
Artwork
Facebook

Posted Nov 24, 2011, 7:57 pm
Eohippus
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Finland

Send an email to Eohippus Send a personal messsage to Eohippus Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

All my tv:s are from fleemarkets. We have lots of them here in Finland, actually they are very trendy, and I buy all my clothes there too.
I usually go to the fleemarket kept buy an animal rescue organization, who has a house for homeless cats and dogs.
I also drag for them all the things I donīt have use for myself (all the hideous and unfitting clothes my dear relations give to me as gifhs :rolleyes:..)
http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/personal/pooh_go.gif  http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/artists/mother_goose/MG_08.gif

Posted Dec 14, 2011, 5:51 pm Last edited Dec 14, 2011, 5:54 pm by Eohippus
Tomi
ToyVoyagers Fanatic

Member Level

Germany

wow that are great ideas :) i'm gonna go to the next fleewmarket :)

My ToyVoyagers:
Tomi the Bear is at home
Tim the Bear is at home
Penny the Cat is at home

Posted Dec 14, 2011, 9:55 pm
Perrydotto
ToyVoyagers Follower

Member Level

Germany

Send an ICQ messsage to Perrydotto View Perrydotto's MSN profile Send a personal messsage to Perrydotto Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Fleamarkets are great ideas, as well as charity shops and related stores.

I got a couple of plushs that I found outside, maybe forgotten or lost, and gave them a new home. I could never send them on a journey though, they are my babies ;) I also have plushs from claw machines and fun fairs. My first traveller, Plaudagei, was won for me from a claw machine. My friend is excited to see where he will go :)
"Make it quick. I'm missing some excellent chaos here!"

Want to host the talkative, colorful little Plaudagei or the regal, wise Princess Celestia? Please PM!

Plaudagei's stay list: Lichtenfels, Germany -> ?
Celestia's stay list: UK -> ?

OPEN for hosting in Hamburg-Niendorf, Germany!
CURRENTLY HOSTING:
None

Posted Dec 15, 2011, 4:20 am
mailianne
ToyVoyagers Friend

Member Level

Czech Republic

Send a personal messsage to mailianne Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

mailianne said:
I found my only TV Leoshek in a geocache (see Geocaching.com). I also have a small doll called Desi from a geocache.  In geocaches you can find a lot of poor used toys, but you have to put there something instead of them (it doesn't need to be a toy, it could be a pen or a touristic souvenir etc.)
My other rescued toys are:
One-eyed Gizmo (from secondhand shop - he really has only one eye), Mr. Froggy (wooden frog - he was lying on the street) and a baby doll (I found her lying on the floor in the supermarket where I work and she is still waiting for a new body [her body was in very bad condition] - I don't know how to make it :( ). But they are not TVs and they will never be (but Gizmo was in Greece with me 2 years ago. :) )

Kuky - now on iTunes

http://itunes.apple.com/cz/movie/kooky/id490014658

Posted Jan 10, 2012, 2:49 pm
Kristykirkpatrick
ToyVoyagers Fanatic

Member Level

United States

Send an email to Kristykirkpatrick Visit Kristykirkpatrick's web site Send a message to Kristykirkpatrick with Yahoo! Messenger Send a personal messsage to Kristykirkpatrick Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

my favorite find was in a trash heap...they were cleaning out a house and dumped a ton of toys in the trash! I rescued a huge bag of them, but my fave was a unicorn :)
~Kristy Kirkpatrick Hotel Trail Coordinator
Concierge Texas travel log shows all going on at Travel Inn Texas!

Travel Inn Texas visitors:
1 vacancy- minis only. 3" or smaller. padded envelope traveler preferred.

Travel Inn voyagers at home:
Nolan
Concierge Texas Concierge for Travel Inn Texas

Traveling Toyvoyagers
Arty Bunneh visiting ladybutterfly
Leif E redswan! Going on travels to celebrate Leif Erikson Day! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leif_Erikson_Day  for more info on Leif Erikson Day!

Upcoming Events:
possible voyage to South Mississippi in Summer.
West Texas-plans still in the works
Louisiana either with Mississippi road trip or sooner

Past events:
Relay for life in May 2012. TVs arrived by January and stayed through May. Leading up to the walk, which raises money for cancer research, We had a benefit dance and sold jewelery and art. We raised 250.00USD. Our team raised over 14k! It was a great event!
Masquerade Ball, Chamber of commerce 50th anniversary and volunteer recognition.
Various events at the Roxy
City Meetings including a city council meeting
Nolan's Grammy's 60th birthday party at the Harbor!
Trips to Eden's Organics Market days for fresh food
Trips to woodland park to play!
Decorating and Opening of Travel Inn Texas!
Veteran's day salute
Met a real TEXAS cowboy!
Halloween party!
National Night Out
Roxy Fest!

Posted Jan 26, 2012, 3:09 am
miranda98
ToyVoyagers Friend

Member Level

Germany

Send a personal messsage to miranda98 Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

I have my most stofftiere get a gift from my neighbor because I gesamelt matters for a flea market but I have not brought it over the heart alle pass away and have kept three :)
I know that the most of the people think iīm insane :D
My Tv Alien Queen(mum)
Alien Princes(daughter)

Posted Jan 26, 2012, 5:23 pm
Pages: << prev 1 next >> Reply to Topic Create New Topic Create New Poll E-mail me when replies are made to this topic View Printable