ToyVoyagers
Welcome! ( login | register ) » ToyVoyagers » ToyVoyager Central » ToyVoyagers Cafe » Sending TV's in a bulk to red...

Pages: << prev 1 next >> Reply to Topic Create New Topic Create New Poll E-mail me when replies are made to this topic View Printable
Sending TV's in a bulk to reduce costs
Emjay
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Group: Members

Netherlands

Send a personal messsage to Emjay Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Hi all,

I've got an idea and I like to know what you may think about it.
Recently I found out that the costs to send a package from Europe to the USA are high. If we could send a bulk of TV's at once, it would reduce the costs. To achieve that, there would have to be people on all continents who "save up" TV's and send them on to the next person on another continent. From there on TV's can spread out through the whole continent. Off course the mentors of the TV's have to pay the costs, but they will be lower, as they are shared.
And there have to be at least one contactperson on each continent, who is willing to send the TV's on to their hosts.
I don't know if I've explained it clear enough (English is not my native tongue), but do you think it is a good idea? And do you think it might work? For the contactpersons it will be a lot of work. They have to be really motivated!
Let me know what you think about it.

Kind regards from the Netherlands,

Emjay
Millicent (call her Millie, please) is living with her boyfriend Aaron with Goomymia in Norway.
Gozer is home
Minnilotta is with RikeH.
Slowly-Slowly is on his way from Beijing. Maybe lost???
Dille is with RikeH.
Cuty is home
Dutchy the Lion is home
Racko is in Finland with Henna
Humphrey is in New Zealand
Snowy the Seal is in Italy with Goldmoon
Hollandia is home
Second Hand Rose was released in the wild
Tupah was released in the wild in Igoumenitsa, Greece
Rudolph was released in the wild

Posted May 4, 2013, 3:26 pm
olgamaus
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

Send a personal messsage to olgamaus Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

This point was discussed in the past already, I suppose.

I also thought about this already, but found more cons than pros.

1. The travelling time would be much longer.

2. The costs would not really be lower. As an example:
For me it costs EUR 3,45 to send a TV to every country outside of Germany, as long as the package's weight is up to 500 g. There is no tracking number or anything like this. To send it as a registered letter the costs would be EUR 5,50.

If I would consider sending a toy with a bulk of other TVs to Asia, there would be even more costs.
- First I would have to send the TV to another person in Germany, this would usually cost EUR 2,20. This person would have to wait until there are maybe 3 more TVs with a destination in Asia. They would be sent to another person in Asia, the costs would still be EUR 3,45 until this bulk's weight is only 500 g. Than the person in Asia would have to send them across the continent, I do not know how much this would cost for a single TV.

Of course postage charges are varying from country to country. What would you have to pay to send a TV from the Netherlands to the USA or Australia, for example? Or to another country in Europe?

Photos of all  ToyVoyagers I've hosted to far, here on flickr

Posted May 4, 2013, 5:23 pm
Emjay
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Netherlands

Send a personal messsage to Emjay Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Hi Olgamaus,

I think you researched it very well. The way you tell it, there are more cons than pros, indeed.
Nevertheless, I had to pay 18 euro to send a package to the USA from the Netherlands. That's a lot, allthough I think it's worth it for the fun I get outof it :D

Thanks for your reply.

Best wishes,

Emjay
Millicent (call her Millie, please) is living with her boyfriend Aaron with Goomymia in Norway.
Gozer is home
Minnilotta is with RikeH.
Slowly-Slowly is on his way from Beijing. Maybe lost???
Dille is with RikeH.
Cuty is home
Dutchy the Lion is home
Racko is in Finland with Henna
Humphrey is in New Zealand
Snowy the Seal is in Italy with Goldmoon
Hollandia is home
Second Hand Rose was released in the wild
Tupah was released in the wild in Igoumenitsa, Greece
Rudolph was released in the wild

Posted May 4, 2013, 8:35 pm
Apperveilchen
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

Send an email to Apperveilchen Send a personal messsage to Apperveilchen Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Wow, that is expensive! Did you have to send a package?
I heard that shipping rates to Europe for packages have increased a lot in the US recently, while there's no such difference for regular mail.
This is why it's important to have weight and size of the tvs in the profile. As long as the tv is light and esp. slim enough (length doesn't matter as much) to put it in an envelope and sent it as a heavy envelope, it's much less expensive than sending the package. If the toy is squishy, it's also not neccessary to use a bubble wrap envelope. I use paper envelopes (corners strengthened with tape) or these cardboard envelopes that squish the tv a little and they arrived savely every time so far (and 'de-squished' with a little massage after opening). This way I can send keychain sized tvs under 20g for 0,75€ worldwide as a regular letter, for 2,80€ as registered mail. But then, size and weight limits are different in every country.
my tvs: Emil is doing a foreign exchange to Japan/USA. Roderich is hiking in Canada. Vinícius has traveled to South Africa. Greta is stranded in Puerto Rico. Nami Geneveva seems to have been lost in the mail. Bob Beeker is still in Mexico. Kunigunde is having fun in the US. Kaspian was lost in the mail for the second time.

Currently with me: Knopf

Posted May 4, 2013, 10:54 pm
olgamaus
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Germany

Send a personal messsage to olgamaus Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Hi Emjay, I had a look at your country's mail system homepage. It should be possible to send TVs as a letter, like we usually are doing in Germany.

Have a look here:

http://www.postnl.nl/voorthuis/brief-versturen/brief-buitenland/

Of course it depends on the allowed sizes of the letter. Maybe you could do some research here :)
Photos of all  ToyVoyagers I've hosted to far, here on flickr

Posted May 5, 2013, 9:27 am
Pages: << prev 1 next >> Reply to Topic Create New Topic Create New Poll E-mail me when replies are made to this topic View Printable