ToyVoyagers
Welcome! ( login | register ) » ToyVoyagers » ToyVoyager Central » What's new? » Safety Online » PHOTOS: Please be careful! P...

Pages: << prev 1 next >> Reply to Topic Create New Topic Create New Poll E-mail me when replies are made to this topic View Printable
PHOTOS: Please be careful! Part 2., Under-16s safety online.
Admin
Admin

Member Level

Group: Administrators

United Kingdom

Visit Admin's web site Send a personal messsage to Admin Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Please think carefully before including photos which show your own, or anyone else's children (especially when their names and other details are given) when posting on this - or any other - website.

We are very conscious of the need to stay safe online, and even more so of the sad necessity of protecting our children online.

If you have any comments on this issue, please contact Isobel&Neil.

Thanks,
Kind Regards,
I&N

*Posted Jan 27, 2008, 7:34 am
Isobel&Neil
Administrator

Member Level

United Kingdom

Visit Isobel&Neil's web site Send a personal messsage to Isobel&Neil Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Hi everyone -

We keep flagging up the issue of posting photos of children (yours, other people's) on ToyVoyagers. We're about to do it again.... :rolleyes:

We would rather not have photos of children up on the site at all (by children, we mean anyone younger than 13 - the minimum age for young people to join in on the site).

Exceptions might be if the children are in a group and not identified (for example a group of local children whilst you're out travelling) or children who are not named, or identifiable in any way, or who do not live with you (bearing in mind part of being a Host on the site involves giving out your, and therefore their, address details.)

Please understand that we agonise over details like this, and our intention is to keep this site - and our members and their families - as safe as possible.

From today (10/02/08) onwards, we - Admins and Mods - will be editing, or deleting photos which contain images of children, as appropriate.

Please do contact us if you have any questions or comments about this issue.

Kind Regards
I&N

We live here.

Posted Feb 10, 2008, 7:02 pm
Admin
Admin

Member Level

United Kingdom

Visit Admin's web site Send a personal messsage to Admin Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Please read.

Posted Apr 13, 2008, 10:21 pm
Eryah
ToyVoyagers Freak

Member Level

Group: Members

Netherlands

View Eryah's MSN profile Send a personal messsage to Eryah Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

Thanks for the warning and i never put my son on a picture except when you can't regonice him.

Eva
My Tv's on the road are: Hurley
Tv wich join random act 3: Josh
The others are @ home

I am hosting: -

I hosted: TheosheepChompers, Nelly, Marcello, Palmeke, Meleleuca, Snowy, Iggy-Korn, Lillebi, Bene, Willy Wau, Davy, Lumi, Margarida, Count, Ambrosius, Roberto, Summy, Nepomuk, Dottie Mouse, Clem, Strider, HitchaRideDooey, Roots bear, Mulalu, Muumipeikko, Henry the Adventure Hound, Bokkie, Amelie, *~Mr. Bubbles~*, Papelbon

I'm also host at the Dutch TV trail. If you want to send your toy on this trail please send me a pm.

Posted Apr 14, 2008, 9:41 am
Carolyn
ToyVoyagers Friend

Member Level

Group: Members

United States

Send an email to Carolyn Visit Carolyn's web site Send a message to Carolyn with Yahoo! Messenger Send a personal messsage to Carolyn Reply with a quote from this post Go to the top of the page

I think what is at risk here should be fully understood as it's very popular these days to scare parents to death about everything.  Consider this, it's from a NY Times article by Douglas Quenqua

“Research shows that there is virtually no risk of pedophiles coming to get kids because they found them online,” said Stephen Balkam, chief executive of the Family Online Safety Institute. While the debate makes this crime seem common, he said, all the talk is really just “techno-panic.”

Prof. David Finkelhor, director of the Crimes Against Children Research Center at the University of New Hampshire, says TV shows like the “Dateline NBC” program “To Catch a Predator” have falsely inflated the danger of the Internet.

“There is this characterization of pedophiles using the Internet as an L. L. Bean catalog, but this is not the way it happens,” he said. Predators are much more likely to look in chat rooms or other sites, he said, where teenagers are suggesting that they may be open to a sexual relationship.

The real danger is that a photo is appropriated and mistreated.

Gretchen White, a blogger from Westminster, Colo., discovered a young woman on MySpace passing off pictures of her baby as her own. “It turns out she had faked a pregnancy online and needed a baby to show for it,” Mrs. White said.

Read the full article here

Cheers-Carolyn
Carolyn

http://www.thehorribles.thewebcomic.com
http://www.thepeoplethatmeltintherain.thewebcomic.com

Posted Jan 1, 2010, 8:55 pm
Pages: << prev 1 next >> Reply to Topic Create New Topic Create New Poll E-mail me when replies are made to this topic View Printable